|1910-1950 - Changes Under the Federal Government
In 1909 the Commonwealth government took over responsibility for the Quarantine Station and introduced the biggest upgrade the Quarantine Station had ever seen. This resulted in the Station reaching its maximum capacity of accommodation - 1,200 people. The upgrades also saw the construction of most of the brick industrial buildings still present today.
Ironically, even with all the upgrading, the capacity of the Quarantine Station was vastly over-stretched for one last time during the 1918-19 influenza pandemic. Doctor Jeffrey and Sister Hargreaves, both part of the medical team which treated influenza victims, were lucky enough to survive, but five of their fellow nursing staff died. As a memorial to the two an engraving was carved by William Kennedy, an amateur artist. The final irony is that having at last established a large and efficient operation, the Quarantine Station was never used to its maximum capacity again.
The success of public health measures and the improvements in medical science are shown by the fact that only two deaths occurred at the Quarantine Station after 1919; and from 1921 to 1975 there were only 55 ships quarantined, and only three between 1950 and 1975.
While quarantines diminished, the Station was still kept busy fumigating cargoes thought to be housing stock diseases and insects.
Other public health roles performed at the Quarantine Station included the breeding of bandicoots for a Commonwealth Serum Laboratories program designed to develop an anti-tick serum during World War II.